Michael A. McGurk
Born and raised in the Rio Grande Valley, Michael returned to McAllen, Texas in 1996 to begin his legal career with what ultimately became Kittleman Thomas. Now a name partner in WMCN, Michael has successfully litigated a broad range of complex civil cases on both sides of the docket in cases involving business torts, real estate, consumer fraud, lender liability, employment, commercial collection and serious personal injuries. Michael has successfully tried numerous cases both first and second chair before juries in Hidalgo County as well as trials before Courts throughout Texas in matters often involving millions of dollars. Michael was selected as a Texas SuperLawyer in 2008, 2011 and 2012.
Michael attended the University of Texas at Austin where he obtained a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, and graduated from Oklahoma City University Law School where he was a member of the Faculty Honor Roll, Moot Court Board (Finalist) and the Phi Delta Phi Legal Honors Fraternity. Michael was also awarded the PESI Excellence Award for highest grades awarded in Commercial Transactions and Texas Pre-Trial Litigation.
Michael is licensed to practice law in all courts of the State of Texas, as well as in the United States District Courts for the Western and Southern Districts of Texas. Michael has served as an officer and director of the Hidalgo County Young Lawyers Association (2000-2007), served as President of the Hidalgo County Bar Association/Foundation (2010-2011), and served as an officer and director from 2005 through 2012. He is also a member of the Texas Association of Bank Counsel and the Texas Trial Lawyers Association.
Michael is active in the community and his past public service involvement includes Leadership McAllen Class XVIII and the McAllen Airport Advisory Board of Directors. Michael regularly does pro bono legal work for citizens in the community. Michael and his wife, Veronica, live in his hometown of Edinburg with their two sons.
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Texas, 1996
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1997
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas, 2001
- Oklahoma City University School of Law, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
J.D. – 1996
Honors: Phi Delta Phi
Honors: Faculty Honor Roll
Honors: Moot Court Board
Honors: PESI Excellence Award (Commercial Paper and Pre-Trial Litigation)
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas
B.A. – 1992
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hidalgo County Bar Association/ Hidalgo County Bar Foundation, Director, Treasurer and President
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Hidalgo County Young Lawyers, Officer/Director, 1998 – Present
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
Past Employment Positions
- Jarvis & Kittleman, P.C., Associate, 1996 – 1998
- Kittleman Thomas, PLLC, Partner, 1998 – 2017